New Inventory system complications

I don’t think it was that, I think it was a legitimate attempt to improve things. There’s a legitimate argument that the old grid system was non-intuitive, and some people do deeply dislike inventory tetris. That feedback was probably taken to mean that the UI needed to be overhauled.

There were also, legitimate, limitations in the old UI, such as not being able to see the rarity of the attachments on a weapon, not being able to split stacks, and so on. This overhaul was designed to address that, but the result was a net downgrade.

Hi i’m a new player! I really like the game but some systems are are really taking the joy out of the gameplay loop.

When I first played with the inventory system, I was surprised of how hard it was to manage all the different ammos and items I was looting.
I found the lack of sorting options surprising because its not really something that’s hard to code and implement. I mean sorting by alphabetical order is the most basic form of listing.
A List-Based inventory system needs a sorting system. Items need to be sorted. Item category sorting is useless if the items in each category are not themselves sorted.

You get used after a while but the problem resurfaces when you get close to your weight limit, both in your inventory box and your character’s inventory. Do I already have this particular mod? Is this mod better than the one stored? It sure is painful to make that small verification when you have multiple guns and accessories type.

We need to be able to clearly identify items, with a simple look. We also need to be able to clean our inventory easily. A mark-as-junk feature would help a lot. The crafting system is needed here to improve the gameplay loop, where the junk items could be transformed into wanted or useful items.
I’m throwing away loot because there are no use for them and I can’t store them.

I play PC with both a Xbox controller and Mouse/Keyboard
A loadout option would also benefit the gameplay. Being able to make presets of gun loadouts (mods and weapon slot) would benefit console and PC players alike. You could change it by going into the inventory. That would reduce the number of click/button presses for a ammo change.

2 Likes

nah, i think you’re both wrong.
I think it’s pretty simple: the grid style doesn’t work with a controller on console.
So now everyone gets a shitty list style inventory.

I posted this on Steam so might as well copy it here:
To the devs.
I recently got GZ game during the April sale and so far I like the game, I myself did not see the previous inventory until later but as a new player the current (new) inventory is not user-friendly.
Then I began looking at GZ videos and saw the old inventory and that old grid system is much more user friendly and simple to use and manage.
It appears that you want to move into a somewhat more “realistic” game mechanic which is fine so let’s see if we can help with that and also make it user-friendly.

• Return inventory to grid system where all inventory items can be seen in 1 screen.
  • Keep the weight system but allow unlimited stacks on the grid squares for consumables and ammo.
  • Same-quality attachments, (1 star silencers can be stacked, 4 star gun magazines can be stacked. etc.) should be limited to maybe 5 per stack.
  • Attachments currently on a weapon do not appear on inventory unless detached (weight still counts overall.
  • Increased inventory space/weight skill increases weight limit and number of grid slots.
  • Safe house storage remove weight limit, (its pointless to use weight at storage) but use grid system.
  • Allow manual or automatic sorting on both inventories.
  • Use same grid system for clothing so it can be sorted and explored easily and see bonuses more clearly.
1 Like

The old user interface was also riddled with bugs. Weapons would be invisible, ammo would attach to the wrong weapons, you couldn’t pick items up unless you had the exact slots, weapons and attachments disappeared, the list goes on.

Hello,
Though I agree with the sentiment @Zesiir is also correct as I posted HERE maybe some sort of hybrid system can be worked out. On console the multiple tab system simply does not work/flow well without a pause function. This is very similar to the system used in games like AC but all those games offer a pause function (though a pause function in this game would ruin the combat flow). This is a tough one because weight based does work better than item based but the grid works better than tabs on console IMO.
SPP

1 Like

Pontus confirmed it yesterday. Amazingly, he actually asked the dev’s about my idea to allow for both inventory’s to be a toggle option - but sadly the response was they don’t intend on changing it because they worked too long on developing it.

1 Like

Just like skyrim, mods will have to develop a better inventory interface since the devs “worked to long on developing it” but apparently did not test it enough… heh.

Ha!

My man, releasing without testing is the Avalanche mantra.

1 Like

But man, Ai-76 with BMG Rounds…

Top 3 moments by far in game man that was fun.

I didn’t like it first, but now that I am used to it, it is leaps and bounds better than the grid system for me. It still has ways to improve though. For instance making it possible to equip or use an item without having to hotkey it first. I would also appreciate it if the devs would make a toggle to use the wheel menu for all items if the player wants. Many people may have no use for the emote system so why not put it to good use for weapons, etc.

If the bugs were fixed and there was higher stacking and a quick ammunition switch menu I’d be fine with the grid again because tbh it wasn’t that bad until I lost my first 5 crown rifle scope to a bug

1 Like

After the new inventory was implemented, player is no longer able to freely sort and/or order the items in the inventory nor the plundra. Only method is to load everything to/from plundra or inventory into a container and picking it back up in a convenient order.

If a loaded weapon was stored in plundra the game automatically transfers ALL ammo WITH the picked up weapon and thusly ruining any sorting the user had to apply under the hardship of said new inventory system.

As changing ammo in the new inventory system is about as attractive as two zombies making out and as easy and straightforward as filing taxes for the IRS with a blindfold, two possible solutions would spring to mind:

(a) stop transferring ammo automatically and thus messing up any sorting done by users
or
(b) make inventory sortable (geez, to even have to write that in 2020 [sigh])
as suggested here => https://forum.generationzero.com/t/some-feedback-after-60hrs-ingame/22987

There would also be a a very sexy solution where the game asks player what to do with attachments and/or ammo when a weapon is stored or picked up … but who am I kidding here?

3 Likes

There are cases when auto transferring ammo makes sense to me. Since I do not carry the Granatgevär with me all the time, when I pick it from the Plundra the ammo gets transferred into the players inventory if the weapon had it attached when it was stored there.

But I agree the weapons should stop auto equip ammo when being picked up from the world. This is always annoying.

Stop, you’re killing me :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes indeed, it can make sense under certain circumstances, like the RPG, as you say.

My thoughts are along the line: what do I do during gameplay that costs me the most valuable time. And the answer (for me) is: switching flares, ammo and explosives. These things I do a hundred times per 30 minutes, so I rather have the most common items at the top of the list.

When I pick up an AG4 to shred it, and then I go out into a fight I want to swap FMJs and AP rounds and … GODDARNIT … the bullets are at the end of the list while the hunter is already teabagging me.

Somebody really should invent a shortcut for ammo-switching … something like … dunno … SYSTEM SHOCK 2 … in … dunno … 1999 (for crying out loud)

Same feedback topics merged.

//Mod

Where are you getting that I want the new inventory weight I suggested of 120 getting doubled to 240 instead from me saying I would like to see the weight of ammunition REDUCED? lol The inventory weight limit would still be 120 if such a suggestion is taken, ammo would just weigh LESS, I think you need to look up what reduced means lol Plus you should see how much ammo i carry and stockpile in my storage box, that takes up the bulk of the weight more than anything else especially when considering towards endgame you need to carry a crap load of ammo regardless of flying solo or in co-op when taking on many large enemies as they are still bullet sponges when dealing with FNIX and Apocalypse class machines

STALKER always had a dope inventory system

The ammo in this game already weighs less than irl. I have 96kg for my main chara, and i can carry as much ammo as i need. If i need more, i can simply farm some proto hunters. or get more from storage. The amount of inventory, and storage we have now is enough. Plus you can take a character and put all the stuff you want on them. Just get a level 1, and put 1000kg of ammo on them, and switch to your main. You can have pretty much infinite storage.

Edit: On second thought maybe a boost of 30kg-50kg would be good.

lol saw that edit xD