So the arms race is on ,,, sigh!

I think it would be neat for the Americans to somehow be implemented into the story along the line, maybe having a bit of a small feud with some remaining soviet forces? Not like human on human violence, but more so kind of Cold War like relations. It would make for a pretty interesting side story as they would have to work together to achieve a common goal.

1 Like

Yes, Eighties Sweden was a neutral country just in the middle between east and west. Something interesting could certainly evolve …

1 Like

I honestly don’t understand why people always act like that’s a problem. They got our money. We got a decent game. It was fun while it lasted. After that, well I’m sure you have several hundred unplayed games in your Steam account just as I have. Not sure where this assumption that we must play GZ for the rest of our lives comes from?

Agreed, I was led to believe the game would have one.
We get some exposition in the opening title card, and then we get a valuable infodump in Empty Spaces.

If we’re feeling generous, let’s count To the Lighthouse (or whichever mission unlocks the info in the SW lighthouse) as supporting Empty Spaces, and then Spiking the Guns for some pointers about how things went down. And then any one other mission for “everyone’s been evacuated.”

That’s 2 missions, 5 on the outside, that have a bit of valuable exposition (and a lot that have flavor, of course). Does that really a story make?

This is not helped by the final mission mostly having a bunch of rambling. Could a native speaker of Swedish please comment? Is the English translation needlessly bad? Do things make more sense in Swedish? Or is the conclusion just really a bit of a letdown?

2 Likes

Sure, @Ennui. Just have @Avalanche_Graham remove the “Next Chapter” from the homepage and I promise you that I’m out of here :wink:

1 Like

Try though I might, I can’t find the least bit wrong with your opening statement. :smile:

I too would prefer a low frequency of quality content over a high frequency of meaningless cheapshots (if memory serves, this was also what @tene requested in their video).

I would very specifically also like to have such content be DLC, so I can choose to get it, or not, rather than have the game I agreed to buy changed after the fact. (“It’s like George Lucas coming to my house and replacing my Star Wars with one where Han doesn’t shoot first!”)

Amongst other things, this currently negates achievements after the fact (“I got the best games in the gun!”). This is made more galling by the fact that it’s easy to add new stuff without devaluing the old, as I elaborate on here:

Ironically, if in your Steam library you call up your GZ DLC, Rivals for instance is listed. Yet if you deselect it and start the game, you’ll still have Rivals (which is obviously a bug), otherwise it would be a splendid invitation: “here’s new stuff as DLC that you can get if you like it, or skip otherwise.”

This bit puzzles me a bit.
Sure, as a non-dev, or a non-party member, you usually don’t get a before-the-fact vote.
But as a customer, and a regular voter, you can certainly act after the fact and never vote for/buy from people who disappointed you again, tell all your friends your gripes and urge them to do likewise, and write reviews accordingly.

3 Likes

Yes, I might be sulking, but I’m not mean (I hope).

I hoped that this part of my initial posting added fairness to my otherwise harsh words. :slightly_smiling_face:

I was not objecting to your gripes.
I was puzzled by your assertion that we have no recourse. We can voice our opinions, and if we’re sufficiently bothered we can, while they already have our money, not give them more ever again, and do our darndest to convince others to do likewise.

As a theoretical point, mind, I don’t currently hate the game or the developers. :smile:

But with each of these nonsense updates I lose a little bit of faith in the game and the developer. Since they already have my money and these updates are free, the only reason I can see to do this is trying to trick us into being in-game to boost the statistics in steam and perhaps prevent “zomg multi-player’s dead!” reviews.
I don’t generally respond well to the feeling of being tricked.

1 Like

I’m not out to punish anyone. I already got my moneys worth and for that I’m content. I don’t like where the game seems to be going, but if me leaving is compensated by five new joining, Avalanche is doing the right thing, namely making money. If the additions and changes they made to the game appeals to a wider audience, I’m not going to be a sore looser. I just think that they take something special and turn it into mainstream. So I voice my opinion here but I don’t expect to have influence.

And so do I. The October release was presented as something big, and I expected more map and more story. I don’t use bikes, I could do without the Plundra, I’m not into skins (I play solo), I think the experimental weapons are silly, and I don’t get the Rivals idea at all. So I’ll wait for “Next chapter” stuff if it eventually arrives, and until then I’ll probably spend my time off cuddling my cat (and my wife) :wink:

1 Like

While I’m sure vengeance is the best revenge :smile:, I don’t really primarily see it in those terms. In beta, and early game-play, it was obvious that we had something really special here, and I wrote reviews accordingly, and convinced some people to buy the game.

So by that token, if I’m honest to my friends and in my reviews when I think the game is in a fantastic place, I must also be honest when I have a sense of foreboding about the direction the game takes. Personal integrity dictates it must be so.

Yup. Once more, exactly likewise.
(Well, my cat and spouse, but yeah. :smile:)

2 Likes

It is indeed, isn’t it … it gives such a warm and fuzzy feeling inside :joy:

I completely respect that and I agree regarding the integrity. However, I’ve only done a two-liner review on Xbox (probably in Danish) and I think that still holds true. And nobody cares about what I say anyway :grinning:

And I’m sure they deserve it too :wink::+1:

2 Likes

Wow, you guys are lucky. I just sit and cuddle with my plushies and IKEA pillows while I play. :joy:

1 Like

I’ve seen people mentioned Plundra and I’m dumb to ask but what is Plundra?

Plundra are the storage boxes in the safehouses that are shared between all your characters. And it’s perfectly fine to drown in the alphabet soup of all those Swedish names occasionally. :smile:

1 Like

Oh , a storage box is called Plundra? Why?

I wouldn’t want to put forward the impression that I speak Swedish, but it would be a play on loot/plunder, surely?

https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=auto&tl=en&text=plundra

1 Like

Oh, I get it! Now, it makes sense! :blush:

1 Like

Hi

So I thought I’m gonna make some input on this

I don’t think experimental weapons make the game easier, I think they make it faster and add some variety.

Now I explain why
First of all they are not OP, so far I got:
EXP. 50 cal. - it actually works as I would expect from the base one, maybe 5 star version. 50 cal. was my biggest disappointment honestly :confused:
SMG - yeah you can shoot faster but it will also eat your bullets quickly, I use it to kill Hunters faster
Rocket launcher - I think the base one is very underpowered as much as base 50 cal. I honestly rarely use it, now shooting 2 rockets at once makes it 2x faster and you waste rockets 2x faster as well
Shotgun - looks cool, you need to adjust to its range, doesn’t do that much damage in my opinion and it’s fine

so there you go… so far I couldn’t find anything OP about them

Now let’s talk about game difficulty

I have around 100 hours now and most of that (probably around 80%) is playing solo. Now some people make it look like this game is very very easy, I kinda don’t share they opinion, I think it’s hard for solo player. Enemies are too much of a bullet sponges, they can kill you in 1 - 2 seconds if you are not running around like a rabbit on crack (very immersive huh?), they can see and sense you from as far as you can see them, stealth is ultra lame in this game since it’s only useful for avoiding them not for fighting them (have you played MGS V ?, maybe add some tricks from there). Rockets and grenades are very underpowered, exploding canister has to be transported inside tanks butt and detonated from a sniper shot from 100 meters away while there is one more tank and 5 hunter jumping at you. like seriously?

We dont have sticky bombs, luring bombs, EMP bullets, invisibility cloaks, no proper traps, no thick armor… so honestly there is not so much stealth or tactics in this game as you imagine.

the only tactics are:

can I afford to fight this or do I sneak arround?
If yes then throw everything I have at it and run arround, die 5 times, run back keep throwing things until its dead. loot, repeat.

If game makes you think about how you gathered all those Ak-47 bullets and now you gonna waste them on a tank, harvester + 10 hunters then it’s not a very fun game in my opinion. If there was something else to do like I don’t now… building mini settlements, trading outposts, interacting with other players, but I’m now touching on Fallout 76 idea… (good idea, bad execution)

now if experimental weapons can make this a little bit faster with less bullets, and less times dying then I’m fine with them.

Are they realistic?

I would say they are not on Star Wars fantasy levels. They are called experimental and I’m sure you would find something partly working throughout the history of wars and Area 51 (lets storm this one)

So there you go guys, it’s not such a deep game with advanced tactics as it seems when you playing it for the first like 10 - 20 hours. it’s actually pretty shallow and missing a lot and a lot and a lot to make it work as devs and us are intending…

EXP weapons just added some variety to something that was getting pretty old to me and made things feel little bit less like a chore

thank you for reading.
This is my opinion

3 Likes

Lots of good thoughts here, @Justas1988. You have to level up a lot to have a fair fighting balance. My problem with the experimentals is, that the game is set in 1989. Now, thirty year later I"m not aware about EMP enabled, timed micro-bomb shotgun shells. I might have been unlucky that my first encounter with EXP weapons was the pumpgun but I felt like getting a “model spacecadet” gun. Just as appropriate as a dog on a pool table. But if we’re doing fantasy then it’s fine :wink:

1 Like

well… flechette shotgun rounds are not fantasy they are real and were used in Vietanam War

now in a game where we have this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSjKoEva5bg with a machine gun, I can accept that we may have a flechette rounds which can explode :smiley:

2 Likes